Lessons For a Poker Novice

The aim of this writing is to act as a guide for the new entrants in the arena of poker playing. It is a common phenomenon for the new players to lose a bit though many of them could be better off than I was in my initial days. If the players can start with a few lessons they can face the situations and could easily avoid some traps awaiting them.
I started playing poker at the local golf club where there was a 50/1/2 game. It was two years ago. I started poorly but very quickly learned how to make money playing poker. Sometimes while playing for five hours at a stretch I made $100. Though I played poorly for many times my loss was not of a great amount.
Another game I started playing is a semi-private 3/6 type. It was a tough game and I was not good enough for it. The encouraging thing was that I was not losing much and was breaking even and played better for higher stakes.
The poker bug was already set in my mind. Apart from my fascination for the cards I also enjoyed playing, winning and making money. Previously I used to play contract bridge in competitions but playing for money motivated me much higher. I won low stake games and had enough to take my family out for dinner a couple of days in a week.
Afterward I tried online poker where I played Omaha8 but with loose playing and with lot of flaws I soon got into trouble. I was too concerned about maniacs operating and taking away the money that I chased and eventually lost money. Discouraged, I decided to play small stakes, where I did better. I observed the maniacs operated in the early hours and could easily be avoided. Though I did better than the previous venture still I was on the losing side and managed a $500 last for about six months.
I made a few changeovers in my style of playing. I spent more time on tournaments and made myself tight and loose according to the prevailing situations. Too tight play last longer and can be used as a strategy in tournaments. Anyway I soon found out that this strategy still loses and tried the aggressive strategy by started betting my better hands. I tried to give back the problems to my opponents which they were initially throwing at me. I found this strategy worked for me. I also started winning loose games by applying more patience and sharing the profits with other good players. I learned how to select games and adjust with the situations and found out that where there are too many good players in the midst of a game it is not worth playing.
There are still flaws in my game and I am working on them. Now I am looking beyond to earn more than to take my family out for dinner. I have set a higher objective and added more games to my arsenal for profit making.

Deixe o seu comentario

Post a Comment